The natural level of MSM in the circulatory system of an adult human male is about 0.2mg/kg. Normal adults excrete 4 to 11mg MSM per day in their urine. Several studies suggest that the systemic concentration of MSM drops in mammals with increasing age, possibly as a result of changing diet or body metabolism. Some research suggests that there is a minimum concentration of MSM that must be maintained in the body to preserve the normal function and structure. 8, 9 Low concentrations of MSM in our bodies have been linked with unspecified complaints of fatigue, depression, high sensitivity to physical and psychological stress, and with a large number of degenerative diseases. 5, 6 MSM is an important source of sulphur, but also has unique properties related to its chemical structure and biological activities.



NATURAL SOURCES OF MSM.


Side-effects.

DOSAGES AND USAGE.

WHAT CAN MSM DO FOR YOU?

Deficiencies in biological sulphur can result in less optimal functioning of each cell, tissue and organ in the body. Inorganic sulphur is poorly assimilated. Organic, biologically active sulphur is important for the health of every living organism.




Protein Structure When plants absorb MSM from rain water, they convert it into the sulphur containing amino acids methionine and cysteine. Taurine and cystine, the other two known sulphur amino acids, are synthesised from cysteine. The body manufactures about 80% of the amino acids it needs, and these are classified as nonessential. The remaining 20%, called essential amino acids, must be obtained from food. Methionine and cysteine are considered two of them. There are approximately 28 known amino acids. Each type of protein is made up of a unique collection of amino acids in a specific combination. Two molecules of cysteine can oxidise and bond together through sulphur (-S-S-) bonds. 5 These sulphur bonds are the key factors that hold proteins in shape and determine the form, properties and biological activity of proteins.


MSM is a natural analgesic—it blocks the transfer of pain impulses through nerve fibres (C-fibres). MSM blocks inflammations and inflammatory processes. MSM enhances the activity of cortisol, a natural anti-inflammatory hormone produced by the body. MSM improves the permeability of cell membranes. This improves the uptake of nutrients and many vitamins and the elimination of waste products and excess cellular fluids. MSM dilates blood vessels, enhancing the blood circulation. This, too, helps to eliminate waste products from the body, which speeds up healing. MSM is a muscle relaxant. This is an important and often overlooked benefit of MSM. Many chronic pains are aggravated by chronic muscle tension in the body. MSM aids the natural defence mechanisms in the body by regulating the prostaglandin metabolism, and regulates the formation of antibodies and immune complexes. MSM slows down and restores cross-linking in collagen. Cross-linking in collagen is a natural process in scar formation, causing hard and often painful scar tissues. Particularly in the case of burn scars, in which large surface areas may be affected, this may lead to chronic pain. MSM heals scar tissue which makes the skin more flexible. Dramatic examples are known of people who have treated burn scars with a MSM ointment and have seen their scars almost disappear and have eliminated associated pains.